Gaz’s G.A.S.S. Adventures Part 1: Design a New Smileybones
I’m not the most spontaneous person. I’m quite ordered in what I do and love making plans – and sticking to them. That’s not to say I don’t like having fun and doing daft shit. 2014 brought with it a wealth of opportunities to do daft shit in abundance; for Ginger Wildheart introduced his online fan club, G.A.S.S. (Ginger Associated Secret Society). For the measly sum of £30, every month – from 1st May 2014 to 1st April 2015 – we were blessed with: 3 spanking new songs, diary entries, demos, videos, a Q&A section and podcast. Of course it goes without saying that all that content gave us our money’s worth and them some. But some things money just can’t buy…
The competitions ran through G.A.S.S. gave me an excuse to think the unthinkable and do the undoable; therefore, having the most randomly enjoyable year of my life. The start line was drawn in the sand with the initial request. All I had to do was think of an idea, then implement it successfully before crossing the finish line; hopefully ending my little adventure on the highest point of the podium.
The first challenge eased me into things, shall we say. The task was to design a new version of the Smileybones that looked nothing like the existing one. So Ginger said, the winner’s version was going to be used in the future for something. The prize being, the actual songbook used for Ginger’s ‘Albion’ album. Holy shitballs! I had to have it!!!
Heeding Ginger’s words, “Find someone if it isn’t you, who has some incredible artistic skills”, I got my dear friend Kiwi Bee to do the lion’s share (all) of the work. To start with, we sat down and bounced ideas off one another. I mentioned that whatever the design, a number 5 should feature (Ginger’s favourite number) and brain matter should ooze from the Smileybones. I then come up with the concept of somehow incorporating a flying V guitar into the design. From there Kiki had a great idea of making the guitar look like a rib cage. The rest came together nicely, as you can see from the finished article.
Unfortunately it wasn’t to be as Nathan Gibson won with a fantastic effort. Looking back now, I think we took Ginger too literally when he said the new design had to look nothing like the old one. Though I did get a little surprise when asking Ginger on Twitter what he thought of Kiki’s drawing.
His reply is now proudly mounted on the back of Kiki’s creation.
- December 2014 Challenge 5 In a video Ginger told us of the challenge to send in the shittest gift you could think …Read More »
- February 2015 Challenge 6 The eagle-eyed amongst you may have noticed I’ve skipped a challenge. The reason? I wanted to save the …Read More »
- October 2014 Challenge 4 For the next comp we had to send in a photo of ourselves in a Halloween costume, or …Read More »
- August 2014 Challenge 3 In a video Ginger explained you had to print out a stencil of the G.A.S.S. logo, then carefully …Read More »
- June 2014 Challenge 2 In a video Ginger explained that we had to download and print a PDF of his head. From …Read More »
Scott Lee Andrews on: Mutation in a live setting, depression, misheard Wildhearts lyrics, Exit_International’s possible third album and new project Strange Unit.Part 2 of my conversation with Scott. I start by messaging Scott some photos. You see the first one? Scott: Beautiful. Ahhh, …Read More »
Scott Lee Andrews on everything from Mutation, love of The Wildhearts, Exit International, his new project Strange Unit and Oasis b-sidesI had an informative chat with the affable Scott Lee Andrews, on everything from: Mutation, Scott’s love of The Wildhearts and Endless …Read More »
- Jake Adams: we discuss Jake’s relatively new but productive career up to his latest project JAEKO, his wealth of side projects, how …Read More »
- Released: 3rd May 2019 Graphite Records If riffs and choruses could kill, upon the release of ‘Renaissance Men’, The Wildhearts will be …Read More »